Friday, July 22, 2011

Nicli Antica Pizzeria

When I was 14, I went on a school trip to Italy. My interest in boys not yet burgeoning, I discovered other earthly pleasures such as gelato, which was not yet ubiquitous in Canada. I remember indulging to the tune of four waffle bowls of it in one day, though I paid dearly for it. The other sensory delight I found in Sorrento (just outside of Naples) was the pizza. Oh, the pizza. I don’t really remember what it was like, but I do remember thinking “this is the best pizza I’ve ever tasted.”

Now you can have that same superlative taste experience right in East Van! Check out Nicli Antica Pizzeria on Cordova. They follow special guidelines for authentic Neapolitan pizza, and the results are definitely worth the effort. The crust is best described as evocative of naan, but you’ve got to try it to see what I mean. The Bianca is to die for, as is the tiramisu.

A rather motley crew of us went after our ball game on Monday, and it was so good that I suggested it to another group of friends as we surveyed our dinner options last night. The service can be hit and miss, but that’s certainly forgivable in a relatively new establishment. Any kinks will be ironed out, and I predict this place will have a long and healthy life in East Van.

Nicli Antica Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment