Tuesday, October 18, 2011

St. Augustine's

I am what I describe to servers as an entry-level beer drinker. Becoming a beer drinker has even been one of my New Year's resolutions. That same year I vowed to train myself to do the splits. Sadly I am still not very flexible, but my taste for beer has slowly but surely begun to take off. And in what better time and place than 2011 Vancouver, with its beyond burgeoning craft beer scene?

Near the front of the charge is St. Augustine's Craft Brew House and Kitchen, named after the patron saint of beer. I've been to this temple of barley and hops in many contexts now: lunch with friends, game night with a group, on a date, and even for a volunteer envelope stuffing event. A live beer menu listing their rotating selection of forty taps is on the website, and on screens in the pub itself.

I can't say that I enjoy the proliferation of televisions beyond the beer menu screens, but St. Aug's is a sports pub, so it's not really a legitimate complaint.

The focus is on the brews of course, but in my experience, the food is nothing to sneeze at either. The servers are friendly and patient with my likely inane questions about the "intensity" of certain beers. I won't be enjoying a Storm Black Plague Stout anytime soon, but I definitely like me some Howe Sound Pumpkineater to go with those incredibly delicious fries and garlic aioli!

St. Augustine's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment